Thursday, January 19, 2012

Two legged cat thriving in new home

CHOCTAW, OK -- When we first introduced you to Deuce back in August, he'd just been discovered in Choctaw with both back legs and part of his tail cut off.  The veterinarian who treated him said it appeared he'd been surviving on his own with the traumatic injuries for about six weeks.

When Stephani Coker saw Deuce's story, she knew she wanted him to join her family.
"It just tugged at my heart strings.  I felt so sorry for him.  First he has this accident, then he's left out there for a month or a month and a half without food or water," said Coker.  "I just wanted to give him a forever home.  I knew I could love him."

And after two and a half months in her home, Deuce is doing remarkably well.  "He's a happy, wonderful little kitty.  I mean he's just like any other cat," said Coker.  Deuce can't jump.  But he can climb.  And instead of holding his stumps in the air, he's now actually walking on them.
He's warming up to Stephani's three other cats, including Finn, who's missing a leg himself.  "I knew hey if I can do a three legged cat then I can take care of a two legged one."

And while he's still guarded around most people, Stephani says he warmed to her immediately.
"It even surprised the vet.  He went right into the carrier.  He wasn't skittish toward me.  I just think he already knew that I was his mom," said Coker.

Stephani still doesn't know how Deuce lost his limbs and says she probably prefers it that way.
"It would just totally break my heart for him to know what he went through."  And she says Deuce is now even teaching her a thing or two.  "After everything he's been through and he's just happy to have somebody love him.  That's it.  You know he has a nice little bed to lay on and sleep on and he has love and that's all he cares about.  You know and it's really made me look at things differently," said Coker.

Coker says the vet that treated Deuce says the injuries appear to be the result of an accident.  She says his legs and tail were cut off in the same spot which led the vet to believe he'd gotten in the way of a blade, possibly from some type of farm equipment.

Click here to view a video of Deuce!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this article about my baby, Deucey. I have had him for almost 3 1/2 years now and he is doing great. He fell in love with one of my foster kittens whom I ended up adopting so he could have a buddy as he never bonded with my older kittens. Thank you again for your support and love for my baby.

    Stephani Sinclair Coker

    ReplyDelete